Yakin 4 Jesus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Fishing lures

Neil Ingram

Fishing lures Empty Fishing lures

Post by Neil Ingram 3/2/2015, 9:45 am

Another thing that will be fun is talking about fishing lures and what to carry on your yak. I load my milk crate two ways - salt and fresh water. Big difference. Net size also changes. As mentioned before both Ted and Daniel carry tree lures with them but I really don't recommend these as they are very hard to get into a net (trees that is). I am sure that we have some great fishermen on the list so give us your thoughts and later I will give mine.
    Jordan.Cassell
    Jordan.Cassell

Fishing lures Empty Re: Fishing lures

Post by Jordan.Cassell 3/31/2015, 9:22 am

Having just begun fishing on a regular basis last year, I'm still a massive fan of the hard bait lures. The treble hook (often two sets) makes a strong hookset (read: finesse and skill) less important and allows me to pull in fish that I probably wouldn't on a single hook through a soft plastic. Hard lures are really only great when the fish are looking for a lot of fast paced action - so I'm trying to learn soft baits this spring as the water temps are on the rise but the fish are still lethargic and looking for the easy meal rather than the aggressive chase.

The most important thing that I consider when choosing a bait is "what do I think is going to strike this today" - often color and luster and noise aren't as much of a factor for my decision as overall size of the lure. I'd much rather throw a small lure and catch a small fish than throw a large lure and catch nothing. Don't get me wrong, there's not a better feeling in the world than pulling in a new personal best sized fish, or the biggest catch of the day amongst your mates, but it's just as rewarding to pull in 6-7 half-pound sunfish when everyone else is coming up with empty hooks.

As far as Yak load out - so far I stay pretty minimal. Tackle & lures (I don't own enough thus far that I can't take it all), water bottle, 2 rods (light and medium), magnetic tray for quick access to favorite lures, and soon enough an anchor. No milk crate for me (tank well is too narrow).
    Neil Ingram

Post by Neil Ingram 4/20/2015, 9:39 pm

Perhaps you can find an inexpensive cooler to serve as your crate. With this you can slide your Plano clear tackle boxes into the cooler dividing each box as to top water, worms (prerigged of course), rattle, etc.also store hooks, sinkers in there own area. This will help with quicker hook ups and changes in lures loved your different camera angles to make it look like you caught more than one fish. Daniel put a little wig on one once.
    Daniel Clarke
    Daniel Clarke
    Admin

Post by Daniel Clarke 4/21/2015, 8:03 am

I sure did - it was a cutie Wink
    Jordan.Cassell
    Jordan.Cassell

Post by Jordan.Cassell 4/21/2015, 8:08 am

Good suggestion on the cooler - so far I'm able to fit my two tackle boxes with my pre-rigged soft baits and my hard baits in the front bungied area and my tackle bag in the rear tankwell with my terminal tackle.  

And just FYI - they were three different fish. There's no need to be jealous of my success because you elected to have a knee replacement right at the beginning of the season, lol.
    Neil Ingram

Post by Neil Ingram 4/21/2015, 12:44 pm

Well, I am green with envy. However, when you get where you can't walk straight it becomes less elective. So catch gobs and take pictures and enjoy it now because big daddy is coming for You shortly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 9:41 am